Monday, June 16, 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars


Hey guys!

I've never done a movie review before- actually this isn't really a review but more of my general thoughts on the movie ^.^- but I've seen ones for Divergent pop up (I still haven't seen that movie arggggh), so I've decided to try one out. :D

SMALL SPOILERS- nothing too detailed about the movie, and I do reference the book. :D

I'm going to be frank and say that compared to the book, the movie was lackluster.  I'm sorry, but that's just how I saw it.  The movie took out A LOT of the scenes from the book, and even though I know it's impossible for a movie to have everything, I felt it did suffer from the lack of those scenes.  It made me feel like their relationship was rushed, but again, that's sort of inevitable.  I think the main thing was that I was expecting a lot more out of the movie, and while, it was a good movie, it was nothing spectacular. That isn't to say the movie was all bad.  Nope not all.  It was actually pretty good- just on its own, without comparing it to the novel.  

The actors, however, really did an AWESOME job.  I had loved the actress for Hazel ever since I saw her in the Spectacular Now, and she did not disappoint.  She was the perfect Hazel. I had my doubts about the actor for Augustus because a) I've never seen him act before b) he looked way too friendly (like the boy next door type) to play such a pretentious guy and c) the only perfect casting for Augustus is Augustus himself. ;)  However, he blew me away.  I was so impressed with his emotions and his smirk and gosh! He was PERFECT.  Not only that, but the chemistry between them was great.  They WERE Hazel and Augustus, and I shall never again doubt John Green's casting choices :D

With the exception of scenes being taken out (and that ending scene!), the movie-as far as I remember- didn't put anything in or altered anything drastically.  It was really faithful to the novel. They did change the ending scene a teensy bit (no, he still dies- that's never going to change *SOB*), but I actually was okay with it.  :D

So what did you think of the movie? :)



No comments: